Thursday, November 29, 2007

On day 7, God created rock music

I hope I don't sound too blasphemic. My intention is not to disparage God, but to highlight the great value called rock music. This entry is mostly meant to worship this type of music, so if you don't like it then this is your chance to close my blog and go watch some Rihanna or Akon on youtube.


As you probably know, music is a big part of my life: I can't study/do homework without it, I can't travel without it and it's hard for me to walk without my headphones (if I am by myself). And most of the time, I listen to indie/alternative type of rock, the one I can't get enough of. Arctic Monkeys, Muse, Placebo, Stereophonics, Interpol, Coldplay, The Killers, Radiohead and Arcade Fire are only a few from my never-ending list of favorite bands and I recommend them to anyone who wants deep lyrics and complex sounds. Why do I love indie?


Hmm, I can't put my finger on what I like about it...the guitars, the drums, the bass (Franz Ferdinand have the most incredible bass ever!), the attitude, the shoes, the metaphoric lyrics and the voice. The vocal part is very important to me because if I don't like it, a band could have the greatest intrumental in the world and I still wouldn't listen to them. There is no "voice-pattern" that I look after in a band...there's a variety of voices that I love. From the androgynous one of Brian Molko to the throaty ones of Kelly Jones and Richard Ashcroft, from mellow like Thom Yorke and Chris Martin to the intense voice of Win Butler, from boyish like Alex Turner to manly like Paul Banks . However, I'm very picky about female voices: I tend to avoid strong voies like the singers' from Nightwish or Evanescence, and go for soothing ones, like The Cardigans, Massive Attack or Portishead (the last 2 are rather electro than indie).

Enough jabber about voice analysis. This music is my fuel and I'm not joking. You should see how slowly I walk when I don't listen to music, but I go up to Observator from downtown in 15 minutes when I do.

Of course, rock isn't only about alternative. It's also heavy metal, punk rock, death metal, psychedelic rock, classic rock, glam rock and many more. I listen to some of these according to my mood, like Rammstein, Marilyn Manson or Metallica. Because you know....alternative has some negative parts too. And that is represented by bands like Good Charlotte, My Chemical Romance and a few other American bands which promote the 'emo' culture....I think I told you about those emo kiddies at the OCS concert... So alternative rocks, emo sucks. End of discussion.

And now to end my little review (I could write more, but I've never been this tired in my life and I'm not feeling 100%) I will post the lyricsand the video of Suede's song "Trash"

Oh maybe maybe it's the clothes we wear,
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair,
Maybe it's our kookiness,
Oh maybe maybe it's our nowhere towns,
Our nothing places and our cellophane sounds,
Maybe it's our cheapness,

We're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze,
We're the lovers on the streets,
Just trash, me and you,
It's in everything we do,
it's in everything we do

Or maybe maybe it's the things we said,
The words we heard and the music we play,
Maybe it's our sweetness,
Oh maybe maybe it's the times we've had,
The lazy days and the crazes and the fads,
Maybe it's our cheapness,

But we're trash, you and me,
We're the litter on the breeze,
We're the lovers on the streets,J
ust trash, me and you,
It's in everything we do,
It's in everything we do

2 comments:

Mihnea said...

parca ma asteptam sa nu scrii nimic de 1 decembrie... oare de ce? :P Izobello :))

Anonymous said...

Kelly. ♥♥♥♥♥

Bless you chica.